School Social Workers are trained mental health professionals who provide services to students related to social, emotional, or behavioral concerns. School Social Workers can be a link between the school, home, and community by providing both direct and indirect services to students, families, and school staff. Please feel free to contact Amherst Social Workers Jill Maiorca at 440-988-1645 or Katie Kirchbaum at 440-988-1352.
- Provide supportive services to students individually or in a group to reduce stress, build skills, and improve educational success
- Connect students or families with community mental health services
- Link students or families with community resources for basic needs (food, clothing, housing, etc.)
- Participate in school team meetings
- Provide staff support and consultation regarding student mental health concerns, behavior issues, school violence, substance use, or other issues.
- Crisis intervention
Katie Krichbaum is the part time School Social Worker in the Amherst Exempted Village School District. Katie has worked as a Supervisor at Huron County Children Services and Pressley Ridge, a treatment foster care network out of Cleveland; working with kids and foster families to overcome the effects of significant trauma due to abuse and neglect issues. Katie loves connecting people to resources and helping them to discover their own solutions to their problems; in order, for them to grow and thrive in any circumstance. Katie is a Licensed Social Worker (LSW). Katie obtained her Bachelor’s Degree from The University of Toledo and her Master’s Degree in Social Work from Cleveland State University.
Jill Maiorca is the School Social Worker in the Amherst Exempted Village School District. Jill has worked the last eight years as a school social worker in Geauga County. She has professional experience working in Children Services, Big Brothers Big Sisters and Community Mental Health Agencies. Jill loves problem-solving ways to help people of all ages improve and grow. Jill is a Licensed Independent Social Worker (LISW) and an Ohio Department of Education School Social Worker. Jill obtained her Bachelor’s Degree from The College of Wooster and her Master’s Degree in Social Work from The Ohio State University.